Urology Care Foundation/Astellas Rising Star in Urology Research Award
In 2005 the Urology Care Foundation initiated a new grant program to encourage young urology faculty to enter and remain in research careers, the "Rising Star in Urology Award." Applicants are Board-certified or -eligible urologists who have successfully competed for a new externally-funded, peer-reviewed career development award (i.e., K07/K08/K23 awards from NIH, or career development type grants from the Department of Defense, American Cancer Society or others). This program provides up to five years of supplemental salary support to career development awardees to ensure that their research salary compensation is competitive with other academic urology faculty. This supplementation allows the urologist to not only remain a contributor to their institution as a surgical specialist, but also have time to investigate potential treatments and cures to make a difference in the lives of urologists and the patients they serve. The participants are required to apply for independent, R01-type funding before the end of their award period.
The surgeon-scientists selected to participate in the AUA Foundation/Rising Stars in Urology Research Awards program are recognized young leaders in the field of urology. The accomplishments of the 10 participants is laudable to say the least. Here are just a few of the accomplishments this stellar group has collectively achieved:
- Over 300 articles published or in review during their careers;
- Eight recognition awards, including Medical Student Mentoring Award, Faculty Teaching Award, and William Campbell Felch / Wyeth Research in Education Award;
- At least 35 abstracts and presentations at national scientific meetings, including the AUA Annual meeting;
- Seven of the ten participants have already been awarded additional extramural funding; including two R01s, one VA Health Services R&D Award, and one Howard Hughes Early Careers Award;
- Five have been promoted during their award period;
- Two have been selected as Foreign Academic Exchange Scholars
Please click here for more information about the Rising Star in Urology Research Award.