Questions to Ask Your Health Care Provider
- What type of bladder cancer do I have?
- Has it spread beyond my bladder?
- What is the stage and grade of my cancer, and what does that mean?
- Do I need other tests before we can decide on treatment?
- Will I need to see other doctors?
- What are my treatment options and which do you recommend? Why?
- What are the chances my cancer can be cured?
- What are the chances that my cancer will return after treatment?
- What risks or side effects should I expect? How long are they likely to last?
- What should I do to prepare for treatment? What will it be like?
- How much time will I need to recover from treatment?
- If I have surgery, how long will I have a catheter?
- How long will I need to take off from work or other activities?
- Will the surgery affect my sex life? My social life?
- What will we do if the treatment doesn't work or if the cancer comes back?
- Is there anything I can do to prevent the cancer from returning after treatment?
- How often will I need to have check-ups after treatment?
Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network
National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health
American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists
Find a certified sex therapist/counselor near you
Peer support to help men deal with Erectile Dysfunction