When PE gets in the way of your sexual pleasure, you should see your health care provider. Most often, your health care provider will diagnose PE after a physical exam and talking with you. Some questions he or she may ask are:
- How often does PE happen?
- How long have you had this problem?
- Does this happen with just one partner, or every partner?
- Does PE happen with every attempt at sex?
- What type of sexual activity (i.e., foreplay, masturbation, intercourse, use of visual cues, etc.) do you engage in and how often?
- How has PE affected your sexual activity?
- How are your personal relationships?
- Is there anything that makes PE worse or better (i.e., drugs, alcohol, etc.)?
Lab testing is only needed if your health care provider finds something during your physical exam.