Urology is a branch of medicine that deals with health issues of the male and female urinary tract, and the male reproductive system. The male reproductive system makes, stores, and transports semen for reproduction. It is made up of the penis, testes, scrotum and prostate.
As you can tell, men's sexual health is a large part of urology and the Urology Care Foundation is dedicated to providing trusted men's sexual health resources. Vital conditions impacting men's sexual health include:
- Prostate Cancer is when cancer forms in the prostate gland. It is the second-leading cause of cancer deaths for men in the U.S.
- Testicular Cancer is most likely treatable and most often curable with timely diagnosis. It is the most common cancer in men 15 to 34 years old.
- Low Testosterone is when men have low testosterone levels.
- Peyronie's Disease is where plaques (segments of flat scar tissue) form under the skin of the penis.
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is when it is hard to get or keep an erection that's firm enough for sex.
Did you know?
Certain healthy living tips can make an impact on men. Try for 30 minutes of moderate exercise, 5 days a week. Try to de-stress; even 10 minutes a day can lower blood pressure which may help improve erectile dysfunction.
Eat healthy because caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods can irritate the bladder; red meat and high-fat diets can increase the risk of kidney stones and cancer.
Not smoking is also important. There are several men's sexual health issues that can be impacted by smoking. These include erectile dysfunction and infertility.
Problems with getting or maintaining an erection is a strong warning sign that it is time to call the doctor.
- In the U.S., about 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
- With timely diagnosis, testicular cancer is most likely treatable and most often curable. It is the most common cancer in men 15 to 34 years old.
- Testosterone is the male sex hormone that is made in the testicles. Testosterone hormone levels are important to normal male sexual development and functions.
Prostate Health Playbook [pdf]
Vasectomy Fact Sheet [pdf]
Men's Health Checklist [pdf]
BPH Poster [pdf]