By: Paul Turek, MD | Posted on: 03 Mar 2014
I know its hard to fathom but spring is almost here. Out East, they’re buried in snow. Out West, the specials this week are flooding and mudslides. Nevertheless, soon enough, birds and bees will fill the air and thoughts of more than just pollination will cross the minds of many.
So, how do you make your sperm as healthy and fit as they can be? Well, the body makes sperm, so anything that effects overall health can affect sperm:
- Eat right. I recommend Paleo or Mediterranean diets. Lot of antioxidants. If you’re stuck with airport or fast food, consider an antioxidant supplement.
- Exercise. You’ve heard this a million times, so it must be true. Absent exercise, stand more than you sit.
- Stay lean. Obesity has clear associations with lower semen quality.
- Get sleep. You should be sleeping 7-9 hours nightly. How much sleep are you getting. Do this and watch your sex drive skyrocket too?
Now, let’s review some unhealthy habits that sperm absolutely despise:
- Limit alcohol. 7 glasses a week is acceptable as long as they are not all drunk on one (or even two) nights.
- Stay cool. No hot tubs or baths. They bake your baubles. Take my word for it, I published the paper! Showers are fine. Pools are fine.
- Stash the cell. Some data suggests keeping the smart phone away from your boys as phone radiation affects sperm motility. Use a shirt pocket or better yet, your backside belt (so 90s!).
- No weed, no tobacco products, no anabolics, no nothing. Incontrovertible evidence abounds that these are bad.
- Avoid these pills: opiates, calcium channel blockers, sulfa drugs and finasteride (Propecia).
And while at work, pay attention to the following:
- Avoid sitting. Drivers, get out and stretch hourly. Try standing at work, you might look more authoritative.
- Avoid heat. Cooks, welders and bakers get away from the flame and avoid hot, stuffy uniforms. Breathe baby, breathe!
- Farmers and gardeners: avoid estrogen-laden pesticides
- Don’t sweat the small stuff and it’s all small stuff. Reduce your stress, and smile more. Try acupuncture or massage if this doesn’t work.
Ok, it’s more like a baker’s dozen, but it works. Don’t forget, your sperm really want to run hard and run fast. So, don’t hold them up. Sperm are like Eva Gabor... they love the fast lane!