By: Urology Care Foundation | Posted on: 19 Dec 2016
Makes 8 servings
Approximate nutrients per serving: 200 calories, 4 grams of fat,
1 gram of protein
1 9-inch pie crust pastry
2 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup cold butter
3 cups peeled and sliced fresh pears
3 cups peeled and sliced fresh apples
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional)
1. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of flour, the syrup and 2 tablespoons of melted butter until smooth. Add pears, apples and cranberries; toss to coat. Spoon into crust.
3. For topping, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; crumble and add the 1/3 cup of butter. Stir in walnuts (if desired). Sprinkle over filling.
4. Loosely place foil over crust to prevent over-browning and bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to 350°. Remove foil; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove and allow to cool. Serve with or without ice cream.