2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoon-size pieces of cold, unsalted butter
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly butter the baking sheet and place it in the center rack of the oven.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into pieces, and blend it into the flour mixture with your fingertips.
- Add blueberries.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the vanilla extract and whole milk.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir into a dough (careful, don’t over-mix the dough!).
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it a few times.
- Mold the dough into a 7-inch round. Cut this circle in half, then cut each half into four pie-shaped wedges and place the scones on the baking sheet. Lightly brush the scone tops with whole milk.
- Whisk together the sugar, flour and cinnamon until a crumbly mixture results.
- Gently apply 1 ½ teaspoons of the mixture on each scone top.
- Bake scones for 20 minutes; cool scones briefly. Makes 8 scones. Enjoy!