Fall is filled with delicious and tempting foods, from Halloween treats to Thanksgiving feasts. You can enjoy some fall favorites even with a sensitive bladder.
Makes about 4 cups of stuffing
Calories per cup: 266
3/4 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup 2 percent milk
3 drops vinegar (the baking soda will neutralize it, but meanwhile it will help the bread rise)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1-1/2 tablespoons margarine
3/4 cup frozen broccoli (partially thaw and chop in 1/2" pieces)
2 slices white bread (preservative free) crust removed, torn in pieces
1-2/3 cups chicken broth (Campbell's Healthy Request)
3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
non-stick cooking spray
To make the cornbread:
1. Thoroughly combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the center.
3. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, vinegar, egg, and oil.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the well and gently stir until all is moistened.
5. Spray a 7- inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
6. Pour in the cornmeal batter and spread evenly.
7. Bake at 425 degrees F. for 20 minutes or just until golden and center springs back when touched.
To make the stuffing:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread (crumbled) and white bread pieces.
2. In a saucepan, over medium heat, saute the broccoli and butter until tender - do not brown.
3. Combine the sautéed broccoli with the bread mixture. Stir in chicken broth, using enough to moisten. Stir in the seasonings and blend well.
4. Spread the mixture in a large shallow baking dish measuring about 10" x 15".
5. Bake for 20-30 minutes.