How are Injuries to the Penis Diagnosed?

If you've injured your penis, your urologist will ask you about your medical history and perform a physical exam, along with blood and urine tests. The goal is to gauge the damage to the penis.

Your urologist may gently place a fiber optic camera into your urethra to check for damage. You might also have an X-ray study called a "retrograde urethrogram."

This is performed by injecting a special dye through the urethra and then taking X-rays. If the X-ray shows the dye leaking outside the urethra, it may suggest damage to that part of the urinary tract. Your urologist might also want to see images of the inside of your penis by ultrasound (sound waves) or MRI (radio waves in a strong magnetic field).